The LIT Program, Leaders in Training, is designed for teens ages 14-16 who would like to continue their summer experience while being exposed to new challenges and be presented with opportunities to improve their leadership skills in our summer recreation programs.
Our leadership program offers a unique “camp” perspective. While LITs do get to participate in many of our activities, they don't experience them the same way a participant would. At the Outdoor Adventures at Brooksby program, instead of shooting at archery, they may help with setting up targets, putting arm guards on, and cheering on the participants that are on the range. While at the Tanners Playground Program or Tiny Tanners Playground Program, instead of playing kickball, they may assist with setting up and help facilitating the game, or instead of playing in the bouncy house, they may be on the outer edges ensuring the safety of those inside the bouncy house.
This program will teach you to be a leader, a role model, and possibly a future Peabody Recreation Leader. Although we always anticipate our programs be exciting and fun, we expect that there will be times when it will be hard. We also are confident that the life lessons learned from this program will only help to prepare you for future challenges.
What will you learn?
We strive to teach:
- Communication skills
- Confidence building process
- Relationship development
- Critical thinking
- Conflict Resolution
- How to lead activities, games, sports, arts & craft
- Observe and contribute to the program planning
We expect that our LITs will
- Approach the program with a ready-to-learn attitude
- Be respectful
- Come to ready each day to have fun and work hard
- Have an open mind toward information and others and listen actively
- Fully participate in the program and aim to make the most of it
- Look for leadership opportunities beyond those assigned
- Be open and honest in communicating their needs/wants
- Follow all program rules
Tanners Playground Program Applicants:
We will do our best to place all LITs in their preferred locations, but please keep in mind that spaces are limited at each site every session due to COVID guidelines. Placements will be offered based on the applicants application and interview strength with preferences considered.
Outdoor Adventures Applicants please note:
Due to COVID restrictions, at this time we have a max capacity of 3 LITS for each session.
HOW TO BECOME A LEADER IN TRAINING?:
- Applicants must fill out the LIT application and submit it on or before
MAY 15th. You can download the application by clicking HERE.
- Email your COMPLETED application to: email@example.com
Mail COMPLETED application to:
Peabody Recreation Dept.
Attn: LIT Application
50 Farm Ave.
Peabody, MA 01960
- Register for the LIT session you are applying for. Payment is not due until the applicant has been accepted into the program.
REGISTRATION DUE ON OR BEFORE MAY 15
Interviews will be conducted the last week of May.